Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The C-Word

Jerret always says that we are all doing things now that we shouldn't be. He says that in twenty years we will find out that the basic, simple tasks we all complete everyday will eventually cause cancer. I think that if we all lived long enough, we would all personally get some form of cancer and end up plagued for life.

I don't remember any of my friends losing a parent when I was younger. There was a boy in 4th grade who lost his mom, but she was in her 50's. Not old, I know, but not terribly young either. Then we lost my Aunt about 9 years ago. She was young and has three kids. So I guess I did know some people who lost a parent...but those were rarities.

In 2005 a friend from HS died of prostate cancer. In 2006 another good friend from HS was diagnosed with lung cancer and had an entire lung removed. We are not even 30 years old yet - this isn't supposed to happen.

In the past few months, I have met five other people at work who have a parent ill with cancer. Dave, who works in my department, lost his wife last year to breast cancer. Laura, who sits next to Dave, is a survivor who had a double mastectomy. Today we learned that my boss's father has acute leukemia.

what is happening to us?

No comments: