Monday, March 26, 2007

Here He Is World!

I slept for only 3 hours last night and found my mind wandering for another 3. I'm not sure if it was the anxiety over what was about to happen or the fact that my internal clock still believes we are on Eastern Standard Time - probably a combination of both. After tossing and turning 30 or 40 times Jerret woke and we eagerly discussed our approaching day. Forty-five minutes into our conversation Jerret decided it was time to get some rest and went back to sleep. I tried again, and couldn't sleep at all so I began reading a book I brought with me.

We met our in-country adoption facilitator at 8:00 a.m. and our driver took us to the Tokmok orphanage where we first met our baby. Jack was bigger than Jerret expected and about the exact size I thought he would be. It was feeding time when we arrived and the caregivers gave him his last orphanage meal of applesauce and porridge, which looked like cream of wheat with corn in it. When he was finished eating they gave him juice straight from an old worn tin cup, and he lapped it up with no problem! The orphanage director asked us if we had brought clothes for him, which we had, and we handed them over to the oldest woman caregiver who quickly changed him and handed him back over to us. They must have felt that our clothes weren't "warm" enough and added an extra layer of their own clothing as insurance under his new outfit. Finally they asked if we had a coat for him and I showed the blue and green fleece snowsuit that I packed at the last minute The woman said "perfect" and bundled him up as tight as could be.

We then travelled across the courtyard and had a short meeting with the Doctor/Director of the orphanage. She spoke English fairly well and was very thorough in going over JJ's daily schedule. We talked about his demeanor, and were assured that he was a very happy baby. It was obvious that he will be greatly missed by all of the women who took care of him. Many of them stopped us on the way out and requested to have their picture taken with him.

After our meeting we had to hurry back to the hotel as the other two families were eagerly waiting for our return. They were leaving to pick up their little ones at 11:00, but needed the car and driver (who was driving us). We didn't arrive until almost noon but no one seemed to mind. They were just excited for us and took many pictures. Later in the day, when all of us had our newest family members, we travelled to the US Embassy in Bishkek. It was in an out-of-the-way location and had mainly American workers.

Finally, we went to dinner as a group at a little Italian restaurant down the street. It was a nice walk and Jerret used the baby carrier strapped to his front to transport JJ. The two have bonded in the most amazing way. JJ is fascinated when Jerret speaks to him because he may have never heard a male voice. The orphanage employs only women and he has been at the orphanage since the day he left the hospital following his birth. Dinner was interesting as JJ has some digestive issues. I won't go into detail, but let's just say his restaurant episode involved both me and Jerret, a ladies room, three diapers, many stares, learning complete control of our gag reflexes, about a dozen wipes and two pairs of pants. I think its fair to say he takes after his new dad in the bathroom department.

Overall he is a very good baby. He hasn't cried for longer than a minute and is interested in everything we do. He is extremely active and loves attention. We were surprised to see that he is crawling and able to get himself into a seated position. He can also stand while holding on to the furniture. No teeth yet, but I think I see a couple starting to poke through. Our schedules are definitely not cooperating at the moment as JJ is fast asleep and here I sit at 1 in the morning as awake as ever.


Carrie said...

Oh, what a handsome little boy you have!! Kalib was so excited to see his picture, now he's asking tons of questions, most of all, when will he be here to play with??? Oh, wait he's got a messag for you..."I want to play with baby JJ and see him and teach him stuff and I want to do that stuff with him at B's".

Enjoy your bonding time, it doesn't get any better then that, and you guys are across the globe, so you don't have a bunch of people milling around to watch his every move--that will come later. I guess he broke you guys in pretty good at dinner, at least now you'll be prepared!!! It's official, you're parents!!!

Michelle said...

CONGRATS!! So happy to see a pic...he's gorgeous! I'm dying to see a family shot! It's official, you will not have a relaxing family dinner for at least 10 more years! Stay safe and I agree with Carrie, enjoy this family time alone to bond because your about to be bombarded!

Kelly said...

OH MY GOSH, who could NOT fall in love with those big eyes. How adorable. Of course, mom and I were rolling as we talked about your adventures. But, just think, now you have a story (and probably many more) to keep up with grandma's bag stories. Love you all!

Jenni Roder said...

Congrats!!! I am so glad that you finally can hold him in your arms. He is so adorable too. How exciting...can't wait to see more pictures. Enjoy every minute (even moments like at the restaurant:)), they grow so fast!!!!

Denise :o) said...

Congratulations! Your son is beautiful!!!